SHARJAH // Traders whose businesses were destroyed in a huge fire at a Ramadan trade exhibition were still waiting yesterday to hear how much compensation they will receive. Many fear they will not be able to re-open after last Thursday's fire, which swept through the vast tent at Al Sha'ab stadium in Hazana and gutted all 220 stalls. Police say the cause of the blaze remains a mystery although an investigation is under way. It will take another week to compile the fire report, and insurance claims cannot be processed until the cause and scale of the fire has been investigated, they added. Abdullah Sultan, the director of the exhibition, said he had been told the fire report would be completed next week. "Until now we have not had any progress with the insurance or mode of compensation," he said. But he assured traders that all the shops, as well as the tent, were insured and that everyone qualifying for compensation would receive it. Thick black smoke billowed in the skies over the Hazana and Ghaefiya area as the flames spread and it took firemen five hours to bring the blaze under control. No one was killed or injured. Several blasts which police believe may have been caused by gas cylinders in restaurants and market stalls added to the dangers firemen faced as they fought the blaze. Traders watched in silent horror as their goods were reduced to ashes before their eyes. "We're looking up for what next. We don't know what is the cause and who is responsible. We also don't know if we could be compensated," said Zaheed, one of the traders. The Ramadan exhibition is one of the oldest and most popular in the emirate, attracting large numbers of families. It was due to run from Sep 1 to Oct 4, opening during the evening. The fire started when the market was closed. Ali al Amri, the director of Al Sha'ab stadium, said he was anxious to find out what caused the blaze, especially as the tent was fully equipped with fire fighting equipment. "It was a massive fire that we could not expect. All fire safety measures were in place," he said. "We also do not expect any foul play from anyone. A police report will really answer many of questions." Mr Amri said there were more than 60 fire extinguishers in the tent that could have helped put out the fire immediately but there were also many highly flammable materials that would have been a factor in the flames spreading quickly. Irene Zalamea, who worked in a women's clothes shop, said she had already begun looking for a new job. "My sponsor has already told the three of us that it's unlikely she will continue with the business but said she would not cancel our visas until we get new jobs," she said. Ms Zalamea's employer had been operating for two years and was said to be devastated at losing all her capital. "The exhibition was just in its first days and we had not made enough money, yet she had invested so much capital." Murshid, a Pakistani trader also selling women's clothes, estimated his losses at more than Dh100,000 (US$33,000). "I had so many new clothes and expensive ones but lost all of it without the receipts as evidence," he said. "I don't believe they will compensate all that is due to our losses. They would only say we're exaggerating." ykkakande@thenational.ae
